Thursday, February 28, 2008
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
The backing is a flannel in a small gold houndstooth on beige.
This quilt will be a gift for a very special man who works for an agency here in St. Louis called "Paraquad". They help people with disabilities, and he is my dear daughter's job coach. He is so good with her, and we want to show him that he makes a big difference in our lives.
I'd better start dusting. I've never had granite before and had no idea they'd be cutting out some holes while inside the house. I should've covered up more things. A little late now...
Monday, February 18, 2008
Tomorrow is a big day, because the new counters will be installed. After that, DH will set the back splash tile and grout it, and we will be almost finished. We can't come to an agreement about window treatments.
I do have one Project Linus quilt finished, Pinewood Derby--designed, of course, by Sindy Rodenmayer at www.fatcatpatterns.com
My son loved making these little cars with his dad when he was in Cub Scouts and racing them on that big Saturday in January!
I tried something different with the quilting instead of plain old quilting in the ditch. I set my machine on a decorative stitch and loaded it with bright orange thread and then quilted along all the edges of the sashing. I really like the way it looks, although it took a long time!
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
1. I'm a true Midwesterner--born in Illinois, moved to Michigan, and have lived since first grade in Missouri.
2. I have a lifetime teaching certificate in secondary business subjects but never used it, and it's now obsolete (no computer classes)! So I have a teaching certificate, but no one would hire me.
3. I was a cheerleader in high school but now can't jump.
4. I've been married very happily for 34 years, and we're now both retired, but we'll probably never have an empty nest as we have a daughter who needs to live with us.
5. My new name, "Mawmaw", is the prettiest sound I ever heard (coming from little granddaughter's mouth).
6. I am a passionate lover of cats who is being held to only owning one, and I want more!!!!!
7. I worked for quite awhile for a university registrar and kept a list of "collectible names".
Now, a well-known fact--I have lots of projects in progress. Hopefully, I'll have one finished this week to show you.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
I am determined to make this quilt without buying any fabric, so my theme is red, mustard, and dark blue fabrics in plaids and coordinates. It's a loose theme which should get looser as quantities of these scraps dwindle! I already know that I don't have enough of the light background for all six rows. This could get interesting.
Many of us who are making this mystery quilt are sharing our blocks on the Quilting Passion Forum. Members are making everything from baby quilts to Christmas quilts! Stop by and take a look.
Monday, February 4, 2008
During the Super Bowl last night I finished Block 2 of the new BOM series by Susan Guzman. She emails the pattern on the first of the month to those who have signed up, and I was hanging around the computer waiting for this one. I love hearts and am quite captivated by her designs. Who knows what I'll do with the finished quilt--but that isn't the point, is it? LOL
There are lots of projects in progress in my sewing room:
1. Pinewood Derby by Fat Cat Patterns;
2. Row 2 of Debi's Roosting Round Robin Mystery;
3. Plaid Brick Quilt (I'm cutting my plaid stash into 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" pieces and sewing them into rows, offsetting them like subway tile);
4. A barn raising-style quilt using HSTs made with black and brights--needs a border;
5. Three Project Linus tops that need quilting;
6. Many UFOs in their own zipper bags that I am trying not to think about!
The kitchen project is coming along nicely, although everything stays very dirty and messy for the time being. I try to keep it cleaned up, but it is futile! Yesterday I got to paint dowel rods, which is not real easy. Why is it that my hand goes numb while painting, but it isn't so bad while I'm sewing???