Tuesday, September 15, 2009

That Song in My Head


I always seem to have some kind of song running through my head. Do you? Today I had to do some yard work with my husband, Larry, which I really didn't enjoy. He was cutting down a redbud tree to make room for an addition to our house and asked me to help. My job was to cut up the branches into short lengths and tie them into bundles for the composting truck pickup. He is a real DIY guy and saves us lots of $$ by being that way, so I felt I should help. While I was working, this old song started running through my head:


THE GIRL THAT I MARRY
(Irving Berlin)
Eddy Howard - 1947

"The girl that I marry will have to be
As soft and as pink as a nursery
The girl I call my own
Will wear satins and laces and smell of cologne
Her nails will be polished and, in her hair,
She'll wear a gardenia and I'll be there
`stead of flittin', I'll be sittin'
Next to her and she'll purr like a kitten
A doll I can carry, the girl that I marry must be" (Note: My mom played a lot of old songs on the Hi-Fi when I was a kid!)

So...I'm working away and thinking that Larry must not have heard this lovely song during his childhood. In Tulsa they must have been playing this version:
"The girl that I marry will have to be
Able to work in the yard with me
The girl I call my own
Will wear old clothes and sneakers and smell of outdoors
Her nails will be broken and in her hair
A sweaty bandana is what she'll wear
'Stead of sittin' inside stitching
She'll get bug bites and be out here itching
A load she will carry, the girl that I marry must be"
Oh, it's not that bad...I burned some calories and will sleep like a baby tonight! What song is in your head today?




2 comments:

Jan said...

Now I'll be singing that song all day--usually I'm singing "This is the day that the Lord has made, We will rejoice and be glad in it"! Happy Humming!!!!!

Wilma Lee said...

Gosh!!! That happens to me all the time. I have heard it referred to as an "earwig". Mine is usually some stupid song I heard on the radio. Sometimes I sing all night long in my sleep, lol.